Evey's hot tips for dressing cool over Christmas and New Year with Become™•
Posted on March 11 2019
Hello, I’m Evey. Fashion agent, stylist and television presenter on QVC. I specialise in styling for ladies over forty and have a true passion for fashion. Moreover, I’m delighted to sit on Become™'s panel of experts to give you some tips and ideas for wearing Become™ pieces.
So, the big question this month is: How are we going to look hot, yet stay cool at Christmas and New Year? Here are my top tips tips to keep in mind when choosing an outfit.
Choose breathable fabric. Give careful thought to the fabrics you choose to wear before you leave the house. If you’re unsure, just ask yourself the simple question: Does it feel light and comfortable? Avoid fabrics that have no breathability and absorption, as they won’t allow you to cool down if you sweat and will add to the discomfort that you may already be feeling whilst in a hot flush. Obviously, all of Become™’s pieces are made from a highly sophisticated material – find out why they work so well here.
Find the perfect foundation. No matter what the season or occasion, hot flushes will strike at the worst possible moment and there's nothing more frustrating than being trapped amongst people without a quick exit when one starts to take hold. Dress in easy-to-remove layers to help minimise the extent of a hot flush. A foundation layer is so important and for the party season, I’m choosing Become™’s Anti-Flush Camisole. It fits perfectly and seamlessly underneath a blazer worn with slim-fit jeans, tailored trousers or palazzos and will look stylish should you need to peel down to your foundation piece.
Highlight your favourite bits. Dress to showcase the areas that you love, instead of worrying about the parts of your body that you’re not happy with. If you have toned upper arms like Michelle Obama, show them off in a sleeveless sheath dress or a long tunic, teamed with opaque tights and heels. If you’re lucky enough to have an hourglass figure, wear a wrap-style dress or one that is cinched at the waist. If you’ve got great legs, opt for a loose-fit shift dress with ankle boots or heels, or a knee-length fitted skirt with a loose flowing top. Balance is also key, I tend to wear either a fitted top with loose-fit trousers, or a looser top with fitted trousers. And remember that wearing nude colour heels will always elongate your legs.
Look to influencers and icons. Don’t be afraid to look to other ladies for fashion inspiration. I love to see women of all ages rocking their own unique sense of style, not to be dictated by either age or size. There are so many amazing and inspiring women to be found across all social-media platforms, particularly Instagram including Dame Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Oprah, Michelle Obama and Caroline Labouchere. One of my favourite fashion ‘dames’ is Iris Apfel, who is 97 years old, would you believe!
And now... on to the Partywear!
There are so many different options to take you through the holiday season, but here are a few outfit ideas based on some of my favourite looks right now.
When I think about Christmas and New Year, velvet always springs to mind. Luxury, as well as Boho Chic walk hand-in-hand with velvet and I would always choose a trouser suit, which is so versatile! I love this checked jacket from Zara which comes with matching trousers. Here are just a few ways you can style it:
- Wear together as a two-piece suit for a night out, complete the outfit with patent pumps or an ankle boot with a heel.
- Team the jacket with a Become™ camisole top and your favourite jeans for a laid back day-time look, flats or trainers will keep you on trend for your footwear.
- Style the trousers with either a knitted top or loose fit shirt with a tailored long edge-to-edge coat, or wear the trousers with a camisole and cropper blazer, or a biker-style jacket on top. For footwear choose flats or heels – anything goes!
I’ve also fallen in love with this chic two piece in zig-zag embossed velvet two-piece. Inspired by the timeless style of Lauren Hutton, the fabric is so fluid and soft, comfort is at its core. It can be worn for any occasion at this time of year and is perfect Luxe Loungewear for hosting Christmas Day, with a Become™ vest underneath:
- I chose to wear this fabulous two piece with sparkly trainers but equally heels would look fab.
- The options for outerwear are endless and pretty much anything will work. I love to see textures mixed together and think it looks great with my soft pink faux fur coat. This pink/burgundy colour palette reminds me of some hand-made iced macaroons I saw when out walking in London one lazy weekend. The inner icing was in a burgundy, it was a perfect sandwich of two colours!
Jumpsuits are one of my favourite outfits as they’re so timeless and if you choose a classic colour like black, this will be your wardrobe warrior for many a year. Jumpsuits are synonymous with the Studio 54 era. With a tapered leg and cinched-in waist, this look is all about flattering the curves. Just don’t forget to wear your Become™ vest underneath! Here are some tips for wearing one:
- For an evening out (and because I don’t normally wear a heel), I would team this stunning look with either a metallic or sequin trainer, or an ankle boot with kitten heel can also look fab (be daring and opt for a white or red!).
Choose a pared-back look for the daytime. Wear your jumpsuit with a cropped-style jacket and a chain-strap cross body bag
for a cool and edgy style.
- If you’re feel extra trendy wear with hiking boots (I did tell you a few blogs back that hiking boots were coming and now they've well and truly landed!), Chelsea or biker boots, or trainers.
Sequins and Sparkles
Finally, the holiday season is never complete without a sprinkling of sparkle.
Whether you choose to be ‘fully sequinned’ or just partially, let the sparkle take centre stage with the following outfit ideas:
- Wear a sequin top next to a wide leg trouser.
- Try a sequin blazer with your foundation Become™ camisole underneath, teamed with skinny jeans and heel.
- Choose a sequin dress, like mine above. There’s also the option to wear your dress as a daytime look, just add thick black tights and low-key accessories.
Alternatively, go for velvet or sequin footwear and accessories to bring some seasonal style to your wardrobe. They will definitely add some festive cheer. I love these silver sequin Western-style boots and this pair of rainbow sequined block heels. A velvet cross-body bag will also add a touch of luxury – all from ASOS.
Whatever your plans are, I wish you an enjoyable Holiday Season with your loved ones, families and friends. Keep cool, healthy, happy and well, and I wish you an amazing New Year.
With love as always, and look forward to seeing you in 2019.
Let’s start talking...
No longer will we tolerate the taboos surrounding the menopause! Here at Become we strongly believe that menopause is a time when we really need, m...Read More
March is Ovarian Ca...
This month is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, which is a good opportunity to come together to discuss how this sixth most common cancer among women...Read More
Become Menopause Cl...
Our claims to having found a solution to manage hot flushes might sound too good to be true – but we know our clothing really works! Find out how ...Read More